CAMPAIGN FOR ALMA MATER ENDOWMENTThis program is the most urgent given the critical state of that sector at present.
Part I: Introduction
Optimizing Partnership Benefits: Old Students/Alumni Associations
1. Given the heavy burden of funding the Educational sector, it is only natural and reasonable that every opportunity to share the burden be explored. In terms of financial and physical contribution, Old Students/Alumni Associations as well as PTA/CDAs are very prominent traditional stake-holders in the Educational sector.
2. Government relationship with the PTA has been quite robust and relatively well developed. The Ministry of Community Development and Cooperative similarly already has a policy in place to align Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) of private firms in the State with the needs-including education of their host communities as represented by their respective CDAs.
3. Optimizing Partnership Benefits involves:
The Schools' Management clearly identifying the needs and priorities of the schools, while The Old Students channel their collective resources to accommodate those identified needs.
4. However, the Old Students/Alumni Association is a platform for partnership with Government that requires further development for optimum realization of the potentials they hold. There are several dis-connects, or challenges, which if properly addressed, will set free and release into the educational sector yet unquantifiable resources to Re-build that sector.
- Extreme Disparity in Viability
While some schools, by reason of age and as first generation institutions or location, have produced impressive roll call of Old Students, others due to relatively young age and rural location are yet to make their mark in the comity of Old Students Associations. While the latter categories are without help, the Old Students have little to apply their immense Old Students resources to.
- Dormancy among Premium Value Old Students.
Many Old Students have attained lofty heights in various walks of life all over the world. However, for one reason or the other, they have not directed their attention at helping their alma mater.
- Under-estimation of Potentials
Traditionally, Old Students are active in their schools with stereotype contributions in the area of facilities and scholarship. Big Old Schools often get saturated and many alumni are left generally unchallenged in investing in the school system.
6. OPPORTUNITIES FOR OLD STUDENTS ENGAGEMENT
- Provision of Physical facilities-buildings, vehicles, equipment etc.
- Scholarship and assistance to indigent students.
- Students job placement and mentoring. However, potentials and resources of Old Students vastly transcend these items. Creativeness, passion and structured administration of Old Students affairs by Government will unbottle needed energy to transform our school system.
- .................................. More